CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, September 15, 2006

More Migraines

We went to the Pain Clinic again today and saw a physical therapist. She taught Nikki, my wife, some stretches to relax and loosen the muscles in her neck. It was amazing to me that the physical therapist knew which muscles would directly affect the headache based on where the pain in her head was. I can also see how these things that she is learning could help. The therapist explained that the part of the muscle that is spasming is actually just a few fibers in the muscle, she referred them to the trigger points. She also explained that stretching the muscles was important, and that it needed to be a gentle stretch. The reflex of the muscle is to relax when it is gently stretched. If it is stretched to much it can aggravate it even more. Which is difficult to find the middle ground, especially when those muscles are directly affecting the headache.
We got what I thought was encouraging news from her doctor at the clinic. We have battling with insurance to get Botox approved to help with the spasticity of her neck muscles, and her nerves that affect her headache pain. The insurance company told the doctors office that they should have a decision by this afternoon, but we never heard anything. I'm guessing that we will hear on Monday. The doctor said that once we do the Botox we shouldn't have to come twice a week anymore! We would only have to come in occasionally for nerve blocks using local anesthesia to supplement the Botox, sine they can only give the Botox every 3 months.
I have to say that I really like Nikki's Doctor at the pain clinic! He always has so much care and concern for her. It seems like it can be tough to find a doctor that genuinely cares and can express it. But I feel really good about this doctor. I know that Nikki is in good hands, and that he truly has her best interest at heart. Overall, everyone at the pain clinic is very kind, compassionate, and understanding.
I intend to get some posts up about my other boys too, but this is the pressing issue for us at the moment.

0 comments: